A lot of people around the world love to use skateboards. In the United States, it has been estimated that 16 million people ride on a regular basis. Around the globe, there are at least 20 million who hit the road or trail on off road longboards and off road skateboards. If you want to join in on the fun, here are some things you can do.
- Think about what kind of experience you are looking to have. You will want a different kind of board if you are planning to do most of your riding as you travel and town, going to the local skatepark or want to go up and down hills in your area. The kind of riding you want to do will change how large of an off road longboard you will need.
- Get the rest of your gear. You will have a much better time when you are riding your board if you are safe. It often takes people some convincing before they get the protective items they need but no one enjoys injuries or. These are some of the things you need:
- A helmet that fits well.
- Good shoes for riding a longboard have flat bottoms.
- Knee and elbow pads.
- Slide gloves.
- Work out which foot you put forward. If you ride with your right foot forward, the term for that is goofy. If you go with the other foot forward, that is regular. Not everyone knows off the bat what kind of rider they are so they will ask a friend to give them a push from behind. When this comes as a surprise, people go with their instincts and, voila! You know which foot you lead with.
- Start off slow. When you are new at using an off road longboard, you should start out on a flat surface. Pay attention to the way the flow feels off of the asphalt. The lower you can make your center of gravity go, the better your experience will be. Do not push yourself. Before you move to more advanced moves, get comfortable with the more basic ones.
- Work on your stance. You have to learn to walk before you can crawl so get the basics down before you take on harder moves. Get on the off road longboard and place your feet about shoulder width apart and above the wheels. Before you move on to more challenging stances, you need to really master this one. You will eventually find the one that works best for you and your style.
- Always pay attention to how balances you are. The best way to get started on this is to get on the off road longboard, move to a gentle slope. Stay focused on staying balanced. The better you get at this, the better your experience will be. Your arms are your best friends in keeping your balance.
There are a lot of reasons people love to ride off road longboards and skateboards. Once you get enough practice, improve your basic skills, and develop a little self-confidence, you will have a great time on your board. It really is a great activity for all ages.